• Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

26april20091Dharamshala: TibetPost-26-April-09-Four Tibetan monks from Lutsang monastery in Mangra district, eastern Tibet who were involved in participated to a peace march and candle light vigil in front of the Chinese local official building, sentenced to 2 years prison terms each, according to wokar online news in Tibetan language yesterday.  They are currently imprisoned in Tongkor detention center, near Siling-township, Tso-ngon region, eastern Tibet.

According to the report, four Tibetan monks have been sentenced: Lungtok Gyatso, 22-years-old, son of Yangbagya from Lutsang Ru Magdewa, Zoepa Gyatso, 24 years old, son of Kyabtho from Jashungdewa area, Kalsang Gyatso, 21 years old, son of Gyamothar from Lutsang Ru Magdewa and Zoepa Gyatso, 19 years old, son of Tsewang Lowadewa village, Mangra district, eastern Tibet. They were arrested on 25 February of this year, during a peaceful march and candle light demonstration at the Chinese local official building lead by several monks from the Lutsang monastery in the district.

Since last march, Chinese officials have not been allowing foreign tourists and reporters into the Tibetan areas unless they have been officially invited or are a selected group of foreign journalists in Lhasa, the capital of Tibet.  China also heavily restricted in the areas, particularly Lutsang monastery after Tibetan various aspect of demonstration lead by monks from the monastery, and depolyed thousands of Chinese armed military forces in most parts of Tibet after mass peaceful demonstrations in all parts of Tibet since last March.

After the deadly Chinese crackdown on Tibetan peaceful demonstrators in all parts of Tibet, over 220 Tibetans killed, 1,294 injured and 290 sentenced, more than 5,600 were arrested or detained and over 1,000 disappeared, but there is still no any justification for those Tibetans. Moreover, the Chinese court in Tibetan capital, Lhasa, western Tibet sentenced five Tibetans to death, 3 death penalties, two to suspended death penalties, two to life in prison and one jailed for ten years in this month on "charges of arson causing death and setting fire shops."

Translated by YC. Dhardhowa, editor for The Tibet Post International